Hilfe > Websitedokumentation

FAQ

General questions

What’s all about?
How to explore Hikr.org?
What’s a report?
Can I publish my old tours?
Can I see a page with the list of all my reports?
Is hikr.org only a collection of personal pages or can we play together?
How many photos can I add with my reports?
Can I upload photos without a report?
What's about copyrights?
Can I put hikr logo on my page? Do you have stickers?
Who are people behind hikr.org?

How can I modify an existing waypoint?
May I delete a waypoint?
Where do I add a waypoint to my report?
What's a short report?
Is a short report a private report?
Can I choose to display or not my short reports on my journal?
I've published a report by error. Can I put it back into draft status?
I've saved a report as draft. Where can I find the list of my drafts?
How do I add a participant to my report?
I wanna write my report together with some participants. How can I do this?
How can I add a video to my report?
How do I submit a report/photo to a community?
How do I insert a link, photo, SBB code, etc into a report, a post or a comment? What are hikr-codes?
How can I choose my userpic?
Where are the settings for my homepage?
What's MyHikr and how can I set it up?
What are E-Mail notifications and how can I set them up?
I want to change my password.
I want to change my email.
I want to delete my account.
What do mean all those symbols under the minimap?
I don't have a GPS. Can I draw the path directly on the hikr-map?
What's the meaning of the star on photo thumbnails?
I've added a photo to my favorites, but my name doesn't appear immediately in the list. Is this a bug?
How can I add a photo to my favorites?
Do you have an advanced search to look for waypoints and reports with different criteria?
Do you have a wiki?
Can I introduce a route?
How can I associate a route to my report?
Can I associate a route to the report of some other user?
What's a geo-tag?

Features

General Questions

What’s all about?
Hikr.org is a non-profit website where people publish reports and photos of their mountain-tours in order to keep memories and share experiences, impressions and other useful information with the community.

Hikr.org is a place where to search for new ideas for mountain-tours. We already have few thousands detailed and informative reports in more than 400 regions of the world, and growing.

Hikr.org is a huge photo-gallery of many thousands photos of the mountains and the nature.

Hikr.org is a club where you can meet other mountain people like you.

Everyone can participate for free.

How to explore Hikr.org?
There are many ways to explore Hikr. You can look at the list of regions, you can use the map, you can search for a particular summit in the directory, you can  browse the list of thematic communities, you can navigate in the photo galleries, you can look at personal pages of our users or you can simply use the search.

NEW: Try our new Explore Tool, that can also be accessed from the Journal menu on the top of each page.

What’s a report?
This is where you describe your mountain tour. You can describe the route, write about your impressions, and provide useful tips. Did you like it? What was interesting? Which parts of the route are more difficult that others? Is there any danger? Which equipment did you use? Share your experience! More about reports

Can I publish my old tours?
Yes. You can publish all your tours, old and recent. The reports you have published will stay here, we don’t delete or archive old reports.

Can I see a page with the list of all my reports?
Yes and you have even more. Hikr.org is based on the principle of the personal tour guide (Tourenbuch in German). Each user has a personal customizable website (for example this is mine http://anna.hikr.org/) with several pages, like journal, photo- gallery, map, etc.

Is hikr.org only a collection of personal pages or can we play together?
Hikr.org is a collaborative website and community. There are many features that connect reports and users together. First of all Hikr is like a big guidebook, where reports are sorted by region, activity, difficulty and other criteria. We have a common map, a common photo-gallery, thematic communities, etc. On a more personal level, each report can have many participants; each user can have a list of friends and easily check for their last reports. And, last but not least, there is a community in the real world: people make friends and go hike together.

How many photos can I add with my reports?
Photos are a very important part of this site. There is no limit of number of photos per report, but only a limit of 200 MB upload per month. However, you can become our sponsor by buying a Pro account without this limit and without advertising.

Can I upload photos without a report?
No, currently you can’t.

What about copyrights?
You keep all copyrights and other intellectual rights on all your contributions. The only thing we can do with your contributions is to show them on hikr.org website. You can delete your contributions when you want. Read our disclaimer

Who are people behind hikr.org?
First of all, there are more than a hundred active contributors of hikr.org who publish here their reports and photos. Those people created all the content you can find here.

There is also a small team composed of me (Anna) and Stani. We are developers and administrators of this site.

You can contact the hikr team by email: admin@hikr.org or by internal private message.

Can I put hikr logo on my page? What about stickers?
Yes, you can! The collection of all hikr.org logos and buttons is available here.

We also have stickers to give, look here. On the same page you will find our "Google Gadget" with the top photos of the moment that you can put on your homepage or your iGoogle.  

How can I modify an existing waypoint?

Hikr->Map-> Tools -> Waypoints editor

May I delete a waypoint?

No, you cant. Write us a pm or an email.

Where do I add a waypoint to my report?

Add or edit report -> Waypoints (on the right side of the page)

What's a short report?

A short report will appear only on your personal pages. It doesn’t appear on hikr.org main page and other shared pages (regions, waypoints, etc.) It is useful for non-informative reports, for example reports, where you don’t remember much useful information.

Is a short report a private report?

No, it isn't. A short report will appear only on your personal pages, but is visible to all visitors.

Can I choose to display or not my short reports on my journal?

Yes, go to Preferences-> General Preferences

I've published a report by error. Can I put it back into draft status?

No, you can't.

I've saved a report as draft. Where can I find the list of my drafts?

At the top of your homepage.

How do I add a participant to my report?

Add or edit report -> Hike partners (on the right side of the page)

I wanna write my report together with some participants. How can I do this?

Add the draft for the report, using “Add hike report” link, add the participants, select between the options “Participants can modify reports/ add photos” and “Participants can add photos”.

How can I add a video to my report?

Report page, below the report title, follow the link “Link video”

How do I submit a report/photo to a community?

In order to submit a report or a photo to a community, you have to be a member of the community. If you are still not a member of the community, go on the community homepage and click on the button “Join this community”. Then, go on the page of the report or the page of the photo and click on the button “Post to community”.

How do I insert a link, photo, SBB code, etc into a report, a post or a comment? What are hikr-codes?

Hikr codes are a series of shortcuts that allow to add various links and images in the text, without knowing HTML. Moreover, it is possible to give a SBB or PostAuto stop using a particular easy code, that produces a link opening the time plan of SBB.
The complete list of hikr-codes is here: www.hikr.org/post3052.html

How can I choose my userpic?

Choose one of your photos and on the photo page, click on “Add as userpic” in the bottom of the page.

Where are the settings for my homepage?

www.hikr.org/edit_usertemplate.php

What's MyHikr and how can I set it up?

MyHikr is a function that allows you to see on the front page new publications only in your preferred regions, communities and from your favorite users.

There is a button "MyHikr" on the first page. If you click this button you will see a list of recent reports only from those people, regions and communities that you have in your "MyHikr". You can add new stuff to your MyHikr from the page of the region, community or user. Just click the "Add to MyHikr" button there (it's on the right side of the page). You can manage all your MyHikr under Preferences -> News and MyHikr.
You can set MyHikr or standard list of new publications as your default view by using the "Set as default view" link just under the My Hikr button on the main page.

What are E-Mail notifications and how can I set them up?

E-Mail notifications work like MyHikr: you receive email notifications for new publications in your preferred regions, communities, etc. and you can manage them in the same interface.

I want to change my password.

Preferences -> Change password

I want to change my email.

Preferences -> Change email

I want to delete my account.

Write to admin.

What do mean all those symbols under the minimap?

Lot of cool stuff: “Distance” allows to measure distances; “Edit” allows to draw a path on the map and/or to add some information; “Photos” allows to locate the photos on the map; “UFO” starts an animation where a UFO cameraman flies along the path in 3D mode following an ET hiker (it's funny, I guarantee); “Export” shows the code to export the map in your website.

I don't have a GPS. Can I draw the path directly on the hikr-map?

Yes. Start to write your report. Choose “Middlemap under the report” as Minimap position. Save your report as draft (you can also add the path to an already published report). Go on the report page and use the “edit” button of the map to start drawing the path.

What's the meaning of the star on photo thumbnails?

The photo was added to favorites.

I've added a photo to my favorites, but my name doesn't appear immediately in the list. Is this a bug?

No, your name will appear in two days.

How can I add a photo to my favorites?

Photo page -> “Add to favorites” button

Do you have an advanced search to look for waypoints and reports with different criteria?

Hikr->Journal->Explore

Do you have a wiki?

Yes. Essentially, we have four kinds of wiki-pages: waypoints, routes, regions and geotags descriptions.

You can add/edit a wiki page for each waypoint: look for the "Wiki" link on the right side of the waypoint page (like this one, look on the right in the menu)

You can add/edit a wiki page for each geotag, link "Wiki" on the right side, look for example here on the right: Brienzergrat

The description of routes are wiki pages too. Any number of routes can be added to any waypoint, check the button "Add a new route" on the right. Routes are then listed on the top of the point page, look here for an example: www.hikr.org/dir/Eisenerzer_Reichenstein_9104/.

All our wikis are multilingual (i.e. one version per language)

All modifications of wiki pages are listed here. All new routes are listed here and all geo-tags are listed here

Can I introduce a route?

Every user can contribute to the wiki-pages.

How can I associate a route to my report?

Report page -> “Routes” button

Can I associate a route to the report of some other user?

Yes, if you are an active user (i.e. you have published many reports)

What's a geo-tag?

Geo-tags are tags that you can add to a waypoint. They specify to which countries/cantons/regions or to which mountain group the waypoint belong.
You can add a geo-tag on the waypoint page, using the button “Add tags” on the right: see for example [http://www.hikr.org/dir/Muttler_3440/].
Each geo-tag has his own page, for example www.hikr.org/dir/tag/muttler_gruppe/
As a bonus, each geo-tag can have a wiki page, follow the link “Wiki” on the right in the geo-tag page.

Features

Reports
Hikr.org is about reports. Report is a description of an outdoor tour (hiking, climbing, mountaineering, ski-tour, via-ferrata and snowshoe). People write them to keep memories and to share experiences. Usually, people write about the route, conditions, difficulties, experiences, impressions and any other things that happen during the tour; provide useful information and advices for those who might want to do the same tour. More info is better!

Hikr is like a huge guidebook for various mountain activities. But not exactly. Usually, guidebooks contains short pieces of information. Hikr.org contains subjective and personal impressions. Information is also here, but it’s more « live ». There is no editors and no verifications, but you can interact with the author of a report and you can contribute too.

Hikr reports are almost always illustrated with photos, sometimes accompanied with GPS tracks or KML files. Structured information like region, difficulty or date are attached to reports, this way it become easy to classify and search. For example, if you are interested in moderately difficult ski-tours in Graubünden you can easily find them by browsing the corresponding region and activity.

Hike-Partners & Hikr-Friends
Hikr is a community website online and also a community in the real world. When few users do the tour together they all can be listed  as hike-partners, so the report will appear on personal tour journals of all those people. Some users of hikr.org didnt’t wrote any reports, but their personal journals are many pages long !

A related feature is called « Friends ». When you want to track someone’s reports you can add this person to your friend-list. This way all reports where this person appears as a partner will be listed on a special page in your personal website on hikr.

Waypoints
A number of waypoints can be attached to a report. It’s highly recommended to attach as least one waypoint, because otherwise your report will not appear on the map and in the « related reports » box. Attaching a waypoint is easy, because thousands of points – peaks, huts, villages, passes, climbing routes and others – are already in the our database, you only need to search. You can also add new points, by providing name, height and coordinates.

Photos
Even if photos can be only uploaded with reports, they are a very important part of this website. Each user has a personal photo gallery and there is a common gallery of the website. Photos can be organized in different ways, shared in communities and submitted to photo contests. Best photos are promoted using  the democratic "favorites" feature. Photos are very important to us, we don't make economies on storage or bandwidth, we keep all originals and store reduced versions with the maximum quality.

Favorite photos
When you like a photo, you can add it to your favorites. There is a button “Add to favorites” on the right of the photo. If you change your mind you can remove the photo from your favorites later. The author of the photo can also remove your fav. All people that favorited a photo are listed on the right side of the photo page. Each user has a gallery of his/her/theirs/its favorite photos.

Photo rankings
The favorites feature allows to promote interesting photos. Various rankings can be seen on the photo portal:
  • "Popular photos" are those that have more favorites;
  • "Hot photos" are those that were recently added to favorites by many people;
  • "Last favs" : ditto.
All those rankings are also available in personal, waypoint and community galleries. Rankings can be combined with tags.

Another interesting possibility to browse photos is by last comment date. This way you can use the photo galleries like a forum.

Photos of the week
Every Thursday the hottest photos of the previous week are automatically selected and included in our weekly newsletter.

Photo tags
A “tag” is an arbitrary keyword like “animals”, “clouds”, “flowers”, “people” or any other word that you associate to a photo. This is a way to organize your gallery. To add tags use “Add tag” button on the right of the photo. In the gallery choose a tag and see all related photos. All galleries - personal and common - can be browsed using tags.

Add place
You can attach one of more places (waypoints: summit, locality,..) to any of your photos, to say what is represented on the picture. Much often people use this to say what peaks are on the picture. All photos associated to a point end up on the point “homepage”

Userpics
Any of your photos can be used like userpic: a liitle image that represents you on hikr.

Waypoints
Waypoints are geographical locations, like peaks, huts, localities, climbing routes, passes or others. Hikr   have a database of many thousands of waypoints. You can add waypoints to your reports to indicate places you visited and to your photos to indicate what’s shown on the picture. There is a common map that shows all waypoints, personnal map for each user, a common directory, where you can search for a waypoint by name, and a personal directory of each user too. Each waypoint has a "homepage" with reports journal and gallery.

Communities
A community is a place which is dedicated to a particular subject. It contains a forum, a list of tours and a picture gallery. The subjects are for example: ski tours, safety in the mountains, photography, etc. The complete list of hikr.org communities can be found here. A detailed documentation about communities is here.

Personal website
On hikr.org each user has a personal website that contains all their contributions. There is a customizable homepage, a journal of reports, a photo gallery, a list of waypoints and a map. Moreover, there is a gallery of user’s favorite photos and a journal of friend’s reports.  The website has a personal address like www.anna.hikr.org.

Customizable homepage
Each new user of hikr.org has a standard homepage with last reports, last photos and a list of summits.  This page appears empty until you publish your first report. The personnal homepage  can be  customized using a easy visual editor. You can set up the title, provide contact information, write about you and choose which informations to present to your visitors and in which order. Take a look at our  active users homepages to see different customizations.

Counters
Each report and each photo have a simple counter that counts how much times the page was shown. It doesn't count search engines and other bots, only people. Pro users can also install an external couter to have a detailed reports of their visitors.

Lists
Lists are very simple way to bookmark interesting pages: reports, photos and waypoints. For example, one can build a list of interesting reports, or of places where he/she want to go. It’s just another more personal way to organize things. To add a page to a list, use “Save” button on the right bottom side of report, photo or waypoint pages.

Comments
Any hikr user can put comments on reports and photos of other users. Various journals of reports and photo galleries can be browsed by last comment date, so this is why Hikr is also like a big forum. Every time you receives a comment on your report, on your photo or an answer on your comment, you are notified by email. Finally, hikr comments are hierarchical.

User accounts
In a perfect world Hikr would be free (and without advertising). In this world Hikr has two types of user accounts: Basic and Pro.

Every one who signs up receives a free Basic account with a monthly upload limit for photos. Paid Pro accounts are one of the ways to keep hikr.org running. Pro users are our sponsors. In exchange they have no upload limit and see no advertising. They also have some additional features and an attractive green rectangle labeled "Pro" near their name.

Private messages
It's another, more private that comments, way to communicate with users that works like simple email. Each hikr user have a private mailbox to send and receive private messages (PM). To send the PM you can use a  button, "Send me a private message" that you find at each users homepage. Each time you receive a PM you are notified by email.

Maps
Interactive maps are used in many places on hikr.org. For example, each report that has waypoints has a "minimap" on the right side. This mini map shows the waypoints of the reports in red and the neighborhood in blue. User's have their personal maps with some customization options.

The main hikr map shows all waypoints associated to reports or to photos. There are many options, for example one can only show mountain huts higher than 3000m visited during the last year. Various tools are available: to measure distances and draw paths, to place photos on the map (geotagging), to edit existing waypoints and create new ones.

On all maps, clicking on a waypoint brings up a window with a list of its reports and photos.

A KML file for Google Earth with all waypoints is also available.

Publiziert von Anna, 12. April 2008 um 15:58.